Students dine with dead

Branden Alford, Opinion Editor

by Branden Alford

Junior Rebecca Howard imagines getting to have lunch with Ulysses S. Grant.  (PHOTO: Sarah Unruh)

Junior Rebecca Howard imagines getting to have lunch with Ulysses S. Grant. (PHOTO: Sarah Unruh)

We all have a list of people who unfortunately have passed away, but we would pay anything to see one more time or at least eat supper with. There is a wide range of answers floating around the halls of Burlington High School. Anne Stuckey, sophomore, said she would love to eat dinner with Mary, the mother of Jesus. “It would be so interesting to see how she raised her children since one of them was perfect. How did she manage to not pick favorites?” Taylr Bahr, junior, said “Over dinner with any of the founding fathers, especially George Washington, I could ask how it was to roll over in their graves because of the current government.” Another interesting historical figure is Ulysses S. Grant, a favorite of junior Rebecca Howard. She said that dining with the general (known for being constantly inebriated) would be interesting as she would listen to all his stories. Many of the faculty members in this building answered that they would really like to see a family member who had passed away. “I would love to eat dinner with my dad so I can hear one last time his stories about fighting forest fires during the Great Depression,” said para-professional Geneva Bussard. Then there is freshman Dakota Jesse who would like to eat a meal with jolly old St. Nikolas, a.k.a. “Santa Claus.” She would talk to him about many different important subjects, including providing suggestions for her Christmas gifts this year, also asking if the cookies she set out for him when she lived in Alaska were still warm when he arrived and ate them. While all these dream gatherings would be amazing, they are simply impossible. The lesson here is to be content with those you eat with at your lunch table.