Teenage brains have specific qualities

Emmy Furman, Ad Manager

Three students demonstrate a scenario in which two people gossip behind an eavesdropper’s back, enflaming her. Adolescent brains often cause extreme overreactions to insignificant events. (PHOTO: Brylee Davis)

Picture this: you are 25 and beginning to settle down into a stable job. You have completed, or are in the process of completing, your college education.

Your brain is just now finishing its development.

Actually, teen brains have a very different view on life, compared to adults. This is due to the fact that they process information differently, according to University of California.

They tend to learn faster, take more risks, and become sensitive to anger and fear. Teens also may benefit from sleeping later since their internal clocks are different from adults.

Adolescents produce melatonin later at night. Adults usually produce melatonin earlier. This causes adults to be able to fall asleep faster and wake up earlier.

Because of the high-risk lifestyle  kids prefer, they are at the advantage when it comes to evolution. This is because daring and risk-taking teenagers can adapt to new environments more quickly and work well with others.

While the teenage brain can handle certain situations better than adults, it has its fair share of stupidity. Teens can be very immature and get themselves into trouble.

In the classroom, younger students often can cause distractions and make dumb choices.

Freshman Ava Ratzlaff mentioned that one of these annoying behaviors is someone talking while teachers are giving directions.

Similarly, freshman Colt Baker said that some student sare prone to getting privileges taken away from the whole class.

Students also tend to become physical while handling situations. Freshman Mickey Carlson said that kids will jokingly slam people into the hallway walls.

Sophomore Wayne Rohrer added, “They get into stupid fights.”

Outside of class, students slip into trouble as well. Sophomore Kylie Garner mentioned the vandalism of bathrooms.

Sophomore Tucker Williams brought up food fights and throwing things at lunch.

Teens also have the habit of being immature with their emotions.

Sophomore Josie Fejfar said, “There are girls who talk about how they cry every night.”  Many teenagers use their emotions for attention, instead of just letting themselves be sad alone.

Sophomore Kylie Price also mentioned backstabbing friend drama. Teens tend to argue with each other and lose and gain friends very often.

So, how do teachers cope with kids who are the same age each school year?

English teacher Sandy Loucks says, “Teaching high schoolers is a lot like refereeing; we have to expect a little flak from the audience and roll with it. By nature, most of our students will not be mature.

“We have to deal with that, or we have to get out of the business of education.”