WINGS students struggle to feel motivated

Teagan Harris, Sports Editor

“Gifted kid burnout” is a term coined by modern youth to describe how being an ex-smart kid affects our mental health. This so-called “burnout” is essentially a plummet in motivation and work ethic in someone who used to be, or still is in, the gifted program.
This isn’t an uncommon experience, either. A lot of students have gone through this gradual decrease in efficacy.
A lot of students from the WINGS program have admitted to feeling like this. Sophomore Kylie Garner, in fact, stated, “Even though I’m still a part of the system, I still go through insane swings in the way I work.’ One day I might be okay, and then for the next month I have this crazy procrastination problem and I can hardly make myself get out of bed in the morning.”
Most everyone who is affected by this phenomenon describe perfectionism, feelings of low self-esteem, and the subconscious resistance to being challenged. One’s intelligence and ability might determine their worth, but he is not motivated to achieve anything.
Gifted kids could hold themselves at extremely high standards, but at the same time feel that, if they don’t meet these standards, they shouldn’t even try.
How does this even happen, though? Well, most of these extended learning kids were, when they were younger, self-aware, confident in their academics, and well-equipped for challenges. However, many studies show that these positive attributes can decrease as these children grown up.
While this isn’t the school’s fault or even the program as an entirety, we cannot dismiss the effects. Lots of kids reject minorities as well as people they feel don’t fit a profile.
This idea of a burnout is an extremely hard claim to prove, but it’s also hard to reject. There is no solid proof that their educational experiences cause them emotional trauma, but who are we to dismiss this psychological issue?
From personal experience, I’d say that a lot of these children went through adolescence believing they were isolated or misunderstood by their classmates, even if no one else really saw them as such. They were, and typically still are, labeled “teacher’s pets.”
It’s difficult for a lot of students to discuss this, though, as they fear they might be judged by their peers. This is often written off as just another social media trend due to the fact that the term itself was popularized by social media