School needs Gaming Club

Brylee huber, News Editor

Burlington High School has many activities, but a lot of people are still under-represented. What this school really needs is a gaming club.

People are labeled as losers if they spend their time playing games instead of hanging out with others, but a group would change this. There is a ton of interaction involved, and people do form close friendships.

This club could include a school-wide Minecraft server that artistic students could build on, a Dungeons and Dragons campaign that theater kids can practice acting in, and a giant Smash Bros. tournament that anyone could play in.

We even have a few teachers who are willing to sponsor it. Ashley Haller, Extended Learning teacher, said, “I would do it. A lot of my students would probably be a part of it, so I would feel almost obligated.”

The best part is that this organization would be more focused on kids’ interests than on just getting another mark for a college resume.

English teacher Sandy Loucks said, “But…a gaming club  might encourage boy-men to live in their mom’s basements for the rest of their lives.”

I, however, highly disagree. Many friends of mine are planning on going into game design as a career, and I found my interest of architecture because of time spent on Minecraft and the Sims 4.

Some schools even have teams dedicated to online gaming. These are called Esports, and many colleges are offering scholarships so kids will join their teams.

This isn’t even a rare thing for universities to have. KU, KSU, Baker, and Ottawa all have an Esports team.

The club could also serve as a place for students to get scholarships. Similar to what BHS Art Club does, the dues and the fund-raising  could be given to graduating seniors, and, for the students who are not involved in a lot, any money for college would really help.

According the Mr. Watkins, Stuco starts the process of getting a new club.

Then there must be interest.