Student vs pastor: does life have meaning?

Allie Schneider and Pastor Don M. Haselhuhn, Editorial Editor

Nihilism is basically the belief that life is meaningless, and we all are going to die anyway.

Now, I consider myself nihilist but slightly different. I approach life with positive nihilism, which is a much better way to look at things.

While I do see life as meaningless and know that it is nearly impossibly to make an impact in our world, I might as well try my best to make it as meaningful, great, and as wholesome as I can.

It’s sometimes hard to be like this, though. With the twinge of a feeling that we are living for no reason, it can be hard to go on with the same amount of motivation.

But everyone gets their hopes up anyway.

This really STINKS! Yes, we will all die one day, and it’s a harsh reality to face. But why wouldn’t you let that motivate you?

Turn that dreariness into hope, hope that you can change all that you can in the short time we are here!

Use the time that we have wisely, and have this push you to make the best choices you can.

Maybe do more charity work so in your time alive you have the feeling that you have actually done something.

We all strive to have fulfillment in our life, and we cannot do that if we are just sitting around being sad!

You may not be able to change the entire world with the time we have, but maybe at least change the people around you. Try and make others’ lives better.

“‘Meaningless! Meaningless!’ says the Teacher. ‘Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.’” (Ecclesiastes 1:2)

Wise King Solomon was something of a nihilist. However, he ends Ecclesiastes with “The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.” (12:13)

As God’s child, one who has read the Bible repeatedly, I agree we’re all going to die. Romans 6:23a  reads, “For the wages of sin is death.”

The Good News comes next: “The free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23b)

The life God’s children live here and now is not all there is. In fact, this life is a title page for eternal life’s story.

All this is a gift from God because of His love. “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)

So what? Life has meaning. Share God’s love here and now. Look forward to living in His love hereafter.