Food policy reforms would improve student productivity

Emmy Furman, News Editor

Picture this; you wake up bright and early to get ready for school. Your stomach is not ready to eat a full meal, but you know you will be hungry later. It is either eat now and suffer through an upset stomach, or wait and risk not eating until lunch.

Many students are not ready to eat breakfast early in the morning. For some people they may even have to wait until 9:00 or 9:30 to get an appetite.

Sitting in class with your stomach growling is very distracting and makes students lose their focus. Waiting for lunch seems almost impossible.

In school, students want the least possible distractions as they can get. Staying full helps students stay focused and alert.

When running late, a student may stop by his/her favorite gas station for a quick breakfast. In first hour students may want to bring in breakfast. Nobody wants to throw food that they just bought away.

Some teachers may say that keeping food out of school keeps the new carpets clean. I believe that as high school students we know how to eat without making a mess.

I eat (and most students eat) in our own rooms or over carpets. In my house, my carpets are just as clean as they were when we got them put in. As 14-18-year-olds we are responsible enough to eat cleanly.

Even if some students are messy eaters, a granola bar, bag of chips, or anything non-liquid will not stain or ruin the carpets. The carpets will stay nice and students will be focused.

Getting rid of the food policy would give our school less of a prison feel. Students might even like going to school a little more.

BHS should revise their food policy to keep students full and focused. It may even help them produce more quality work.