CAP time results in varied opinions: from annoyed to grateful

Abby Finlayson, Ad Manager

Burlington High School has made a new addition to all of the students schedules. The new “class” is called “Cap Advisory.”

Some like it, and some do not. I will be telling you the pros and cons of this new course.

The first pro that I came up with is that we, as students, gain character skills throughout this time. Many assignments and papers are dedicated to learning things about ourselves, as well as building up our personality.

The teachers also mentioned that extra employment skills could be gained by this class. Time management, work ethic, working well with others, and being on time are just a few of the things.

Another pro could be that students actually build upon their personal journey. The class may be able to lead students in the direction of a career they would want to go into. If they could choose a future job, they may also be able to start looking for colleges.

The last pro that I have found is that this course forces students to check their grades and keeps them involved. When teachers ask about a bad grade, students HAVE to know what they are talking about. On Mondays, students are given a grade-tracking sheet, where they note their grades and make goals about their classes.

The first con that I have brainstormed is the fact that the students’ homeroom was taken away. We do not get an extra 20 minutes put into our schedule for work time every day.

However, I have learned that if you get your Cap Advisory work done, then you do have time to work on things. The days students are given assignments are Mondays and Wednesdays.

A second con is that students interested in many clubs may have a rough time; club meetings have a possibility of being stacked.

One day, FBLA and FCCLA may have the same meeting, which could create conflict for a student who wants to be in both of those clubs.

The last con is that this may put an extra little work put on teachers, although this class is further preparing students for their future, so it is greatly worth it.

The pros outweigh the cons in the situation of the Cap Advisory class.