Newspaper staff leaders offer best wishes

Sarah Unruh and Branden Alford

Here we are, writing our last editorial as members of this high school newspaper staff.

Two years ago, we had no clue what we were getting ourselves into. Sure, we thought this would be a fun class, filled with laughter and enjoyable coworkers. Neither of us thought that we would wind up being co-editors to one of the most interesting newspaper staffs this school has ever seen.

Through the years, we have learned many different things. Some of them are, how do we put it…interesting. Here is a comprehensive list of hints and tricks for next year’s staff.

First of all, to those considering being editors-in-chief, are you sure you want this job? Being an editor is more stressful than playing “Operation” in the dark at 3:00 in the morning with a gun pressed to your forehead in case you mess up.

That is not an over-exaggeration; the paper is more than just a grade. This is an outlet through which the school and community see what is going on.

Not only does the content need to be edited, the staff needs leadership. Typically, a staff is made up of A-type, brute force, my-way-or-the-highway personality types. This environment typically doesn’t lend itself to people who listen to anything really.

Thank us for the heads-up when you are pulling out your hair while planning the next issue of the paper with idea sheets filled with holiday and editorial ideas after you have told the entire staff that these ideas are not the assignment, or when you are sitting in a silent room after the kid you told to get working the entire week previously is preparing to miss three deadlines in a row… but miraculously doesn’t.

This group works more like a business than a class. All staff members must learn to manage deadlines and the quality of their work, balancing this work with the rest of their course-load.

Be prepared for late nights. If we had a dollar for every time we were up past midnight writing a story, we wouldn’t be worrying about paying for college.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help. As a member of this staff, you are surrounded by the most grammatically advanced students in the school. Use the collective brain power in the room and write some amazing articles and editorials. You won’t regret asking for help. Ever.

Don’t be scared to crack open the wealth of knowledge inside Mrs. Loucks’ brain. If you can wade through all the cats, one of the brightest journalistic minds ever sits waiting to answer your questions.

Finally, don’t be afraid to have fun. The product you put out will be better if there is an element of fun in the group. Balance fun with work completion and everyone will be happy.

There you have it! Enjoy being on staff next year! It’s going to be a great time!