Legislature is financially depriving state education

Jeffrey Stewart, Ad Manager

by Jeffrey Stewart

Kansas schools have been underfunded for a long time. In fact, the Kansas Supreme Court ruled unanimously that state funding is completely inadequate back in March.

Lawmakers were given a June deadline to find a solution. They also were tasked with making sure that the money that was spent was evenly distributed to schools.

A bill was signed on June 6 that increased the funding for public schools by $195 million, according to cjonline.com.

However, according to some estimates, it would take upwards of a $600 million to match the level of school support that the state of Kansas had in the mid-2000s.

The court presumably agrees with this notion, as they have ordered the state of Kansas to better finance education again in October.

The problem is that the state of Kansas does not have enough money to pay for it.

Income taxes in Kansas are “still substantially lower than they were in 2012,” according to kansascity.com.

Of course, tax increases are rarely a politically popular move, especially, in a predominantly red state like Kansas.

However, we do not necessarily need to raise income taxes to help schools, as there are many ways we can make the money we do spend go farther.  We can reduce the cost of schooling by consolidation, imposing limits on administrative salaries, and more.

I think it is ludicrous that we cannot find money to efficiently fund our schools. Why would we strip  this generation of a good education?

We have a responsibility to ensure a proper education for all students in this state; our legislature needs to get its acts together.