Staffer desires rule change: cell restrictions way too rigid

Deana Pearson, Editorial Editor

BRRRRRRRRINGGGG!!! The bell for lunch rings, and you finally have time to hang with your friends.

However, don’t you wish you could use your cell phone to document some of these precious memories?

The current rule on these devices is as follows:  Students who are caught using cell phones will have to have parents pick up the phone after school for the first offense. 

Additional violations of the policy will result in the school confiscating the phone for up to two (2) weeks. 

If there is a third offense, the student will be put in a 3-day ISS (in school suspension); the student must turn the cell phone into the office every day upon arrival at school for a period of one month.

Surprisingly ϑ, I would like to propose a slight change to this: allow mobile phone usage in between classes and at lunch.

First of all, I would be less tempted to check my phone during class if I could access it at certain points during the day.

This would keep us from continuing to use them after the bell.

I understand this is seen as a way to cheat on tests and quizzes, but  I have a very reasonable solution to this problem.

We could do what the girls physical education teacher, Kathy Kopfman, does.

She makes her students put their phones in a basket at the beginning of class, and they take their phones when they leave the locker room.

Besides, being able to freely use  cell phones during hall time, lunch, and maybe even homeroom would get this need out of our systems.

This is OUR time; I realize it is during school hours, but other schools allow this privilege, so it must work somewhere!

We are in high school. We deserve to be treated maturely.

Sophomore Rose Wahlmeier  thinks this is a reasonable compromise for another reason.

“If I needed to get ahold of my parents, I could do that without having to take time out of class.”

Also, if the administration decides to make a change, it would be nice to see it PERMANENTLY written in the handbook.

Please and thank you. Just give us a chance.